Our commitment to you
Fundraising Code of Practice and
Development & Alumni Privacy Notice
First things first, we want to thank you for being one of our loyal alumni. When the Alumni Office was set up several years ago, it would have been hard to imagine how many Old Lawrentians would remain so closely connected with the School and with each other socially and professionally. So many of you also help current and future pupils too.
Although we have come a long way in recent years, we are looking for ways to improve your experience even further. Things change online at a rapid pace and it is important that we keep up. The School’s “Fundraising Code of Practice” and “Development & Alumni Privacy Notice” outlines our commitment to you to act ethically, responsibly and appropriately and in full compliance with the School’s policies and procedures and current UK legislation.
Governors at St Lawrence College recognise that philanthropic support is critical if we are to sustain and advance the mission and ambitions of the School. We are very grateful to all donors for their generous support to date. All fundraising undertaken on behalf of the Charity is conducted by the Development Office which is dedicated to treating constituents and donors with the highest levels of care and respect. As a School that has confirmed its intention to adhere to good practice by also signing up to the Fundraising Regulator, we are committed to ethical fundraising and will adhere to the following practices:-We will
- act with honesty, integrity and transparency when soliciting support from constituents and donors
- honour all requests from constituents and donors regarding the frequency and manner of solicitation, as well as any communication preferences
- immediately cease solicitation from a constituent or donor at their request
- respect every donor’s right to privacy and comply fully with the General Data Protection Regulations (which replaces the Data Protection Act 1998)
- acknowledge, recognise and publicise donations appropriately in consultation with donors and in accordance with the School’s policies and procedures. We will respect anonymity when requested
- provide progress reports and updates to donors on their supported activities
- include the name of the fundraiser, their job role, contact details, designated purpose of the donation and relevant charity number in all solicitation and fundraising materials.
- All donations will be used to support the charitable objectives of St Lawrence College
- The School will take the greatest care to ensure that donations are used to fund the project for which the gift is intended
- Undesignated donations will be used to fund the areas of greatest need as identified by the Governors and in accordance with the School’s relevant policies and procedures.
This Privacy Notice explains how St Lawrence College (“we” and “our”) handles and uses data we collect about alumni (“you” and “your”). In broad terms, we use your data to manage the on-going relationship between St Lawrence College and you, keeping up to date on your achievements, and engaging with you on how you can continue to contribute to School life and otherwise support St Lawrence College.
The St Lawrence College Development Office exists for the purpose of forging links with members of the School community with the aim of raising awareness, support and funds for the School’s strategic priorities. Developing a better understanding of our supporters through their personal data allows us to make better decisions, fundraise more efficiently and, ultimately, give every pupil the opportunity to fulfil their potential wherever their talents lie.
The Development Office will retain your data indefinitely or until you request us to do otherwise. The legal basis for processing your personal data is that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, where we have concluded that our interests do not impact inappropriately on your fundamental rights and freedoms. In order to process your data effectively, the Development Office maintains a constituent relationship management database called Raisers Edge which operates in unison with the Old Lawrentian Society.
We take the privacy of our Old Lawrentians very seriously. We are aware of our legal and ethical responsibilities to you and are committed to ensuring the privacy of our constituents in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) (which replaces the Data Protection Act (1998)).
What does this mean for me and how will this work?
How we gather information:
The St Lawrence College community comprises:
- Old Lawrentians
- Current parents
- Former parents
- Current staff
- Former staff
- Third party donors (actual and in-kind) – individuals, charitable trusts and companies
- Current Governors and former Governors
The School’s Development Office will collect a wide range of personal data including:
Names, addresses and email contact details
Past and present educational histories
Personal and professional interests and hobbies
Previous and current engagement with St Lawrence College eg philanthropic support, event attendance, volunteering, individual connections and relationships, and membership of groups/societies
Data is gathered in a number of ways. It is collected annually from the St Lawrence College pupils database (iSAMS) relating to the contact details of new parents and recent leavers. Data is also collected from information provided by constituents directly eg when making donations, providing verbal or written feedback in meetings, filling in hard copy or online forms, or booking/attending events. A record is kept of all correspondence between the Development Office and its constituents.
We may also combine information that you provide us with information available from external sources in order to gain a better understanding of our supporters, as well as to improve our fundraising methods and services. This could include information found in places such as Companies House and those published in articles and newspapers. The information we get from other organisations may depend on your privacy settings or the responses you give, so you should check them regularly. Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
We use profiling techniques to ensure communications are relevant, appropriate, timely and, ultimately, provide an improved experience for our supporters. Profiling also allows us to target our resources effectively. When building a profile, we may analyse geographic, demographic and other information relating to you. This is done in order to better understand your preferences, contact you with the most relevant communications and services, and if appropriate, make fundraising approaches that are tailored to your individual interests. In doing this, we may use additional publicly available data about you eg addresses and job roles. We never sell or share personal details to third parties for the purposes of marketing.
How your data is used by the School:
The School relies on legitimate interests for most of the ways in which it uses your information, including promoting the objects and interests of the School. This will include
- Maintaining a formal record of your involvement with St Lawrence College and elsewhere
- Retaining a record of your academic, career or other life achievements in order to promote and improve the reputation of the School and help you to network with other alumni effectively
- Engaging you in School events that we believe will be of interest to you, including alumni events, volunteering opportunities and other ways you can contribute to the life of St Lawrence College
- Providing you with information about the development of the College, including major initiatives and programmes
- Encouraging you to make a financial contribution to St Lawrence College and processing any contributions
- Assessing the likelihood that you will, now or in the future, make a financial contribution (gift) to the School
This means that unless you inform us to the contrary:
- We may share personal data about parents and/or alumni within the School community which are set up to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships. These include the Old Lawrentian Society, the Friends of St Lawrence and the Junior School Parents' Association
- We will use your information to administer your donation or support your fundraising eg processing Gift Aid
- We will keep a record of your relationship with us so that we can understand how we can improve our services for you
Some people choose to tell us about their experiences at School and/or their motivations for supporting the charity. If we have the explicit and informed consent of constituents and donors, this information may be made public by us in events, promotional materials, reports and documents such as our donor reports.
Where we store your personal data:
The Development Office operates a constituent relationship management database called Raisers Edge which is maintained by Blackbaud UK and, although cloud based and hosted by Blackbaud in the Netherlands, is held securely at St Lawrence College. The St Lawrence College community is intentionally diverse and international and, as such, the School works with alumni around the world (eg Hong Kong, Australia and the United States). For these reasons, the data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be viewed by users operating outside the EEA. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice but we do not accept liability for other users. Arrangements with external storage providers, particularly cloud based storage, will be supported by contractual arrangements for providing security and access.
We want to ensure that we keep your details up to date and communicate with you fully in accordance with your wishes. If you have preferences regarding the type of communications you want to receive, or wish to limit or object to any use of data, please inform the Development Office on 01843 572932 or email email@example.com.
The Development Office will never give or sell your personal information to any outside organisation. Your information may however be shared with agents or contractors used by the Development Office when they provide services to the School (eg mailing houses which circulate the Old Lawrentian News), only if necessary and with confidentiality assured. The Development Office may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in good faith that such action is necessary to
- conform with the law
- protect and defend the rights and property of St Lawrence College or
- act in circumstances where it is necessary to protect the personal safety of members of the St Lawrence community.
Updating or changing the information that we collect:
Constituents have a right to
- see their own record and change the content, extent and use of their personal data (known as a subject access request)
- object to communications or direct marketing
- be forgotten.
Opting out of contact with the Development Office:
If you wish to be forgotten, please contact the Bursar in writing at St Lawrence College, College Road, Ramsgate CT11 7AE or firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you no longer wish to receive any specific or all communications relating to the School’s fundraising activities, please inform the Development Office on 01843 572931 or email email@example.com
Where you opt out of all future communications or exercise your right to erasure, we will continue to maintain a core set of personal data (name, date of birth etc) to ensure that we do not contact you inadvertently. We may also need to retain some financial records about you for statutory purposes (eg Gift Aid). You retain the right at all times to lodge a complaint about our management of your personal data with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
We may change this Development and Alumni Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information, we will make this clear on the St Lawrence College website or by contacting you directly.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of the School’s practices, policies and procedures, or other matters concerning fundraising and alumni activity at St Lawrence College, please contact the Director of Development, Dr Anthony Medhurst on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01843 572932.
Alternatively, the School has appointed the Bursar as the Data Protection Controller who will endeavour to ensure that all personal data is processed in accordance with the School’s policies and the General Data Protection Regulations. The Bursar can be contacted on 01843 808080 or in writing at St Lawrence College, College Road, Ramsgate CT11 7AE.